Sunday, July 14, 2013

Tumbling Tumble Weeds

I occasionally imagine myself in a black and white movie. Roger Rogers and Dale Evans are singing “Tumbling Tumble Weeds.” And I’m toting a vacuum trying to suck up the tumbling tumble weeds of animal fur in my house.
I’ve always liked animals. Generally if I am going to a party or someone’s house , I immediately gravitate towards their animal family members. Lizard, gecko, flying squirrel. I pay too much attention to it and end up talking to the animal like it is a tiny teeny little human. I grew up with a dog that was my little furry brother. Max lived with us for 17 years. So I am familiar with fur.
But this familiarity has grown more intense as my animal family has grown. As the seasons change so does the amount of tumble weeds that invade my house. Autumn. I can look up and see long white hair flying through the air. Spring. My cats walk away and so much cat fur is left behind that a new member of the itty bitty kitty committee could be named. Even if my clothes are hung up in my closet I still manage to get fur on them. I need to have one of those human fly walls with sticky paper on it so I can defur before leaving home.
It gets worse when you add small children and laminate flooring. We have 3 human spawn to go along with the 4 animal children. That combination provides all the sticky hairiness of your dreams. You get the floor all clean. Then, Bam! You turn around and the kid has dropped some unnamed stick on the floor and Snoop Dog decides to walk through it. And yes Bassets shed way too much. It is a never ending battle in my house to fight the stickiness and the tumbling tumble weeds.
But we will never get rid of the itty bitty kitty committee and the Snoop Dog. They are our family. Who else could I depend on to leave drool spots on my couch like old Snoop? Or to eat all the spiders I’m afraid of like Minnie Winnie and Little Lucy Lu?

No comments:

Post a Comment